Just got back from a long weekend in Surfers Paradise, a suburb located in the heart of Gold Coast, Queensland. I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this place, but I didn’t leave disappointed! Surfers Paradise (and Gold Coast in general) is mostly know for attracting rich Australians with bad taste, backpackers, skyscrapers that cast shadows over the golden beach and of course – wide surf beaches with excellent surf breaks!
Surfers Paradise offers the a diversity of accommodation on the Gold Coast, from chic 5-star resorts to budget beachfront apartments and backpackers. After reading about the hotel in numerous magazines, we booked three days at Palazzo Versace. The hotel is located on Main Beach (just outside of Surfers Paradise), a more quiet part of the Gold Coast, but definitely not a boring place!
There’s nothing like setting the bar high! And with a spectacular waterfront setting, friendly staff and Versace EVERYWHERE (too much…? Maybe, but it works and I like Versace toilet articles and sleeping in Versace sheets), this hotel is probably one of the best I’ve ever stayed at. The hotel facilities are great (pool, spa, gym, etc.) and the breakfast buffet just amazing. That being said, it attracts a certain stereotype (the one with excessive use of make up, breast implants and high heels at the pool), and I’m not sure I would stay there for more than a couple of days in peak season… Nevertheless, this resort is great!
We arrived early in the morning and immediately got our room. When checking in, you get a small booklet guide to the hotel that features some of the hotel policies like “What will I WEAR“, “What’s hot this SEASON?” and “What’s not hot this SEASON“! I quickly got out of my pink Converse and pink track pants (are you aware that pink is so not hot this season?) and into my animal print sarong. We had booked a superior room, but after our neighbour lighted a fire (caused by a (Versace) candle), we got upgraded to a lagoon room…! Well, another person’s bad luck….
All in all a great trip…! Can’t wait to go back one day…
CONTACT: Palazzo Versace, Sea World Drive (PO Box 137), Main Beach QLD 4217 Australia
Things to do in the area…:
- Have dinner at Palazzo Versace’s restaurant “Vie Bar + Restaurant” – contemporary, waterside drinking and dining! If you have had enough of Versace, check out the other restaurants located by Marina Mirage (e.g. Saks)
- Rent a car and drive to Byron Bay (takes approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes)! We had lunch outside at Byron Fresh Cafe - and guess who walks by? Kelly Slater (surf legend number one) and his crowd! Apparently, Byron Bay is his hang out place… Now you know… :)
- Visit Sea World
- Shop in Surfers Paradise - Great shopping (including the Aussie surf brands, but also international designer brands such as Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc.)
- Have dinner at Baritalia in Surfers Paradise – great Italian food and perfect location for people watching!
- Explore the night life – heaps of clubs and bars…
- Rent a surf board or just chill at beach!
( picture source – Travel Habit )